Whilst it’s not a risk you like to think about, the possibility of internal theft or fraud is one anyone who has employees or places trust in a contractor needs to take heed of. There’s a variety of ways a worker might betray the trust they have been given, including:
- falsifying their qualifications and/or employment references;
- manipulation of invoices, receipts, bank account details and other financial documents;
- leaking exclusive data, sales leads and/or professional partnership terms which competitors have an interest in;
- misusing their official work hours or abusing flexible working time systems; and/or
- faking or exaggerating claims for travel expenses and client entertainment costs.
Many employees that commit fraud will do it for their own gain, but in some cases the organisation may be infiltrated by an organised criminal gang.